booking terms and conditions
These Terms and Conditions, along with your booking confirmation,
make-up the contract between You and Us.
'We/Us' means Belsford Court Cottages.
'You' means the customer booking and subsequently renting a property
from Belsford Court Cottages.
Bookings and Payment
1. We will confirm all bookings in writing; normally by email
but if you do not have an email address then by letter.
2. Upon You paying the deposit and subject to Us confirming the
booking, You are liable for the full balance of the rental.
3. You are strongly recommended to take out cancellation insurance
(normally, but not always, a standard component of holiday insurance)
in case You are unable to proceed with your holiday with Us.
4. A deposit of £200 is payable by You on confirmation
of bookings by Us. We will email you our bank details in order
that You can make a bank transfer, or We can send You details
with regards to payment by cheque. The balance of the total rent
is due two months before commencement of your holiday.
5. If the balance of the total rent remains unpaid one week after
it was due We reserve the right to re-let the property by marketing
the property on our website and the deposit payment You made will
be forfeited. You will also remain liable for the full outstanding
cost of your booking. Only if We are successful in re-letting
the property (by marketing the property on our website) will You
no longer be liable for the full outstanding cost of your booking,
and the deposit will not be refundable (to cover our time and
expenses in re-letting the property).
6. In the event of cancellation of your booking for whatever
reason there will be no automatic refund of any payments made
by You. You will also remain liable for any outstanding balance
due. We will attempt to re-let the property by marketing the property
on our website. Only if We are successful in re-letting the property
will You no longer be liable for the full outstanding cost of
your booking, and the deposit will not be refundable (to cover
our time and expenses in re-letting the property).
7. Under no circumstances shall the maximum number of persons
specified for a property be exceeded. We regret, due to parking
restrictions and to help maximise the enjoyment of other guests,
the cottages are for the use of paying guests only.
8. We have adequate but limited parking so the maximum number
of your and your partys motor vehicles must not exceed that
stated for each cottage on the website unless agreed by Us in
advance in writing.
9. All information and statements We provide are made in good
faith. In any circumstances We shall not be liable for any damage
or loss resulting from information given or statements made whether
made orally or in writing.
10. We reserve the right to access the cottage at any reasonable
time on giving notice to You during your holiday occupancy.
11. We reserve the right to cancel your booking in which
case any deposits or payments that you have made will be fully
refunded. We will not cancel a booking without more than one months
notice, except in the unlikely case of an emergency.
Arrival and Departure
12. Arrival and departure days are generally Fridays or Saturdays
but can sometimes be organised for other days. Short breaks or
out of season bookings can start any day of the week.
13. Please see the website for details of directions of how to
get here: www.belsford.com/location.htm - please do not rely on
Satellite Navigation as this often takes guests to the wrong location!
14. Your cottage will be ready for you any time after 4 p.m.
at the start of your holiday. Please do not arrive early unless
pre-arranged, as time is needed to thoroughly clean and check
the cottages between lets.
15. Cottages are to be vacated by 10.00 a.m. on your departure
day. You are requested to leave the cottage as far as possible
in the condition that you would like to find it, i.e. all crockery,
cutlery, kitchen utensils, cooker, refrigerator, baths and sinks
in a clean condition and furniture in its proper place. We reserve
the right to make a charge for any abnormal cleaning that may
16. You are liable to pay for any breakages or damage at replacement
value. However, minor damage or breakages will not normally be
17. All of the cottages and facilities are non-smoking.
Electricity and Heating
18. All of the cottages have electric wall and night storage heaters.
Reasonable electricity use is included in the price of your cottage.
There are wood burners in Swallows, Knapp and Archways. The first
basket of logs is provided free. Additional baskets of logs can
19. Unfortunately pets are not permitted under any circumstances.
Linen, cots, high chairs, and stair gates
20. Your linen and bath towels are provided. Please bring your
own towels for the pool and beach.
21. Swallows and Archways cottages have space for one cot
please let us know in advance of your stay if you are staying
in either of these cottages and would like a cot. We will provide
the bottom sheet for the cot, but please bring any additional
cot bedding that you require with you.
22. High chairs are available on request please let us
know in advance of your stay.
23. Knapp and Swallows cottages have fixed stair gates at the
top and bottom of the stairs; Archways has a fixed stair gate
at the top and 2 doors (with high handles) to bedroom and shower-room
at the bottom of the stairs.
Visitors with mobility difficulties
24. Due to the historic age of the buildings, the properties and
facilities are unfortunately unsuitable for people with wheel
chairs. Access to Swallows and Knapp is from the courtyard and
Archways and Oats via a flight of steps. Please contact us if
you require further details.
25. The use of the amenities, including the swimming pool, sauna,
childrens play areas, games room and the grounds etc. is
entirely at the user's risk and no responsibility can be accepted
for any personal injury, or for loss or damage to the user's or
visitor's belongings. Please read all information provided in
your property information booklet. You are responsible for the
supervision of your children at all times particularly when using
Indoor swimming pool
26. Before using the swimming pool, please familiarise yourself
with its layout and our safety instructions below.
Our indoor swimming pool is available for use between 7.00am
and 9.00pm. It is for the exclusive use of the cottage guests
staying at Belsford, and occasional use by the owners. In the
swimming pool building there is a sauna, along with a small changing
room, shower and WC.
Please ensure that the swimming pool building is locked at all
times when not in use so that children can not enter the
swimming pool building unaccompanied. To unlock the swimming pool
building (right-hand door), use the rounded silver key on your
keyring. On leaving the building, please be sure to lock the door
after use. To lock the door, lift the handle up to the highest
possible position (sometimes stiff) and then turn the key. Please
note that there is a spare key located in the keysafe at the pool
building (the code is: 1066). If you use this key, then please
return it after use.
The pool may only be used at your own risk and in strict adherence
to the pool rules as follows, which are clearly displayed for
your own safety:
1. There is no pool attendant or lifeguard on duty at any time.
We cannot take responsibility for any accidents that occur.
2. Children under the age of 18 must be supervised by an adult
at all times when in the pool building.
3. If toddlers / babies are using the pool, they must wear waterproof
4. Please do not step on the top of the cover.
5. Please completely remove the pool cover before using the pool
6. Always shower before and after using the swimming pool.
7. Please take extra care to avoid the overhead beams when walking
around the swimming pool area.
8. The flooring around the swimming pool and in the changing room
can become wet and slippery. Please take extra care and do not
9. Please take extra care to avoid slipping when entering and
leaving the swimming pool via the steps. Please use the hand rails
10. Please take extra care where the pool surrounds are narrow,
as these make it difficult to safely pass other bathers.
11. Please avoid going near the pool cover roller (except when
covering and uncovering the pool) as the equipment is low-lying
and easy to trip over.
12. Please do not take lilos, inflatables, flippers, glass, sharp
or breakable items into the pool area. The supervised use of buoyancy
aids is however perfectly acceptable.
13. Please do not bring any electrical equipment into the pool
14. Please ensure that the swimming pool entrance door remains
closed at all times.
15. Please only use the safety equipment in case of emergency.
16. Please do not smoke in the pool building.
17. Please do not take food or drink into the swimming pool building.
18. Please do not swim after eating food or drinking alcohol.
19. Please do not run, dive or jump.
20. Please do not enter the pool if your presence would result
in there being more than 10 people in the pool at any one time.
21. Please do not swim alone.
22. Please lock the external door if you are the last to leave
the swimming pool building - to ensure that unaccompanied children
cannot access the pool.
23. Be especially careful if you have a medical condition such
as heart problems, epilepsy, diabetes, asthma, poor hearing, or
poor vision. Please do not swim if you have influenza, open wounds
24. In the event of an emergency, please call 999. Our address
Belsford Court Cottages, Harberton, Totnes. TQ9 7SP
25. Please note the pool is not suitable for disabled visitors.
26. The door to the rear of the pool building is locked. Please
do not attempt to enter this room as it contains the pool chemicals,
which could cause harm if touched or ingested.
Removing and replacing the swimming pool cover:
Only adults must be responsible for carefully winding back the
swimming pool cover. To roll the cover back off of the water,
please slowly wind the big handle on the pool cover roll bar.
Please completely remove the pool cover before using the pool.
Please be sure to replace the cover after use so that the pool
maintains its high temperature. To replace the cover, take the
blue towing rope and walk to the opposite end of the pool. From
here, you can gently pull on the blue rope to pull the cover back
into place on top of the water.
27. The sauna is for use by adults and children over 16 years
only The sauna is located within the swimming pool building and
is for use by adults and children over 16 years only. Children
between 16 and 18 must be supervised by an adult at all times
in the sauna. There is a small charge for the use of the sauna
you will need to put 2x £1 coins in the meter in
order to operate the sauna. Please shower before and after using
the sauna, and please carefully follow the instructions displayed
by the sauna door.
Please take extra care when moving around in the sauna, as the
coals will cause severe burning if they are touched. Please be
sure not to put anything over the coals/heater as this will cause
a fire hazard. In the event of fire, please slowly and calmly
evacuate the building and retreat to a safe distance where you
can raise the alarm by dialing 999.
28. The site and facilities are for the sole use of our cottage
guests only, and occasional use by the owners. Access to the site
for guests visitors or third parties is not permitted.
29. We maintain the right to change the setup and opening hours
of facilities on the site. We would also like to point out that
maintenance activities may be performed on the site during your
stay (though most of our maintenance work is scheduled for the
winter months when we are closed).
30. We have adequate but limited parking so the maximum number
of your and your partys motor vehicles must not exceed that
stated for each cottage (1 car for all cottages, except Archways
which has parking for 2 cars) unless agreed by Us in advance in
31. You are requested to respect the wildlife, farm animals and
the Country Code of Conduct.
Right to refuse access
32. We reserve the right to refuse access to the cottage to any
person who in our reasonable opinion is unsuitable to take charge
33. We wish to make our guests holidays at the site as
pleasant as possible. If in our reasonable opinion, any person
is not suitable to continue their holiday because of bad behaviour,
damage to property, creating unreasonable noise, danger or annoyance
to others, they will be asked to leave the site and no refund
34. We do not accept any responsibility for the following:
a. theft, loss or damage incurred of any nature whatsoever during
or as a result of staying in one of our cottages;
b. failure or suspension of any of our technical equipment and
the failure or suspension of facilities on the site.
35. You and your accompanying guests are jointly and severally
liable for any losses and/or damage suffered by Us and/or any
third party as a direct or indirect result of your stay, irrespective
of whether such is caused through action or neglect by the person
in question or a third party on the premises as a result of their
actions, as well as any damage caused by any paraphernalia under
36. In the event of incorrect usage of a property, or when leaving
such behind in an improper fashion, the costs of additional expenses,
including cleaning costs, will be payable by You.
37. In respect of all other claims, losses or damages, expenses,
accident, injury or inconvenience whether arising from tort (including
negligence), breach of statutory duty, restriction, breach of
contract or otherwise under or in connection with this agreement,
shall in no event exceed the actual price payed by You in rent
38. Please advise us immediately if there is anything that You
are unhappy with and we will endeavour to resolve the issue as
quickly as possible. If You have a complaint during your stay,
please contact us as soon as possible. No complaints can be considered
after your departure.
Law and Jurisdiction
39. These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed
in accordance with the law of England and Wales and the parties
hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts in England.